Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Scatter Showers mean no hang gliding

The recent week of hot weather came to an end with violent thunderstorms last night, so I didn't have any high hopes of being able to fly today.

Call up the Green Dragons flight line to be told that the forecast had the showers on and off for most of the day, so hang gliding was off.

I'll see if I can get next Wednesday booked, as I continue on my quest to get a Club Pilot hang glider rating.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

A little bit of publicity

An article appeared yesterday in a local newspaper (New Nation) about my hang gliding challenge, the reporter got everything right apart from the minor detail about me flying the hang glider at 25,000 ft instead of 2,500ft.

Friday, June 24, 2005

Wednesday is another day!

I've scheduled Wednesday 29th June for some more hang glider training, and I'm staying positive that I would actually be able to fly this time and complete some of the tasks required to achieve my Club Pilot rating.

On a different note, members of my hang glider club (Suffolk Coastal Floaters) are looking forward to a good weekend of flying judging by the forecast for this weekend!

Monday, June 20, 2005

We are Flying today, eeem no we are NOT.

The weather over the weekend had been hot, but good, and the forecast for today was light westerly winds, so I wasn't surprised when I called Green Dragons' flight line at 07:00 and was told yes we will be flying today.
The journey on the M25 motorway was troublesome as usual, with some showers on the way, and I was wondering if someone had got it wrong at the Metrology office. After almost 2 hours on the road I got to the flying school around 09:30 where I met 3 hang glider pilots who were going through the registration process.
My joy of having Andy our instructor totally dedicated to Hang Gliding was short lived when I found out that they were day 1 Elementary Pilot students and most of the morning would be spent on introductory theory and the hang simulator, oh well at least we'll be flying in the afternoon.
The morning went well, with me having an opportunity to get reminded of the theory of flight, safety and weather conditions.

We had a lunch break around 13:30, while Andy got an update on the weather and checked the local flying sites to see which would be suitable for the afternoon's activities. Andy came back from the office and called us in to have a look at some of the sources used for weather checks and how the information is used, unfortunately the latest updates wasn't good, with the wind dropping to almost nil.

We decided to have a look at the sites anyway, and check the conditions locally ourselves. It turned out the wind had dropped, and the direction was constantly varying, so no go for launch.

We end the day with the students recapping on the day, while I rigged the stubby hang glider to take some photos, as a local newspaper is doing a story about my challenge.

No flying today, but at least I still gained some knowledge that hopefully will keep me safe when I start flying on my own, and I didn't get charged for the day, as I didn't get to fly (thanks Andy).

Monday, June 06, 2005

Missed Hang Gliding opportunity yesterday

Missed a good day of flying weather yesterday.

Woke up this morning and checked the answering machine as someone had called while we were still in bed, and found out that I had missed a call from Green Dragons hang gliding school yesterday afternoon, the conditions were good and they would be flying till loss of light. I had been out yesterday till 19:00hrs as we were having a picnic at church, so would not have been able to make it anyway. I'm busy this week so don't have any hang glider training booked, but I hope that conditions are good next week Wednesday when I have another day of hang glider training.

I also got an email today from Antonio one of the students I met while training at Lejair, he had a long soaring flight in Wales last weekend, I'm looking forward to the day when I'll be able to join in on the action.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Bad start to June

I was scheduled to have a day of hang glider training today, so woke up early, got my packed lunch ready and at 07:00 called the Green Dragons flight line.

At first the line was busy, I waited a few minutes and got through to Andy Shaw who said the morning was not looking good, but it might be flyable in the afternoon, and I should call back at 12:00 for an update.

Since I had to make a decision on whether I was going in to the office or not, I decided I was not going to risk it, though I would have loved to be hang gliding. I thought the chances of flying to be slim and would rather earn some money at work, hence I cancelled the training.

I'll find out later on in the day if that was the right decision or not.

The longer it takes for this CP rating to fall in place the lower my drive becomes, sometimes I really think this is too much hassle and I should just pack it in. To be honest one of the main things that really stops me from doing so is the amount of money (and then the effort) that I have put in so far.

I've now booked Monday 20th June for my next session, can't do any earlier due to work and personal commitments.